To Hug or Not To Hug (Your Gynecologist)

21 Oct

It comes as no surprise to my readers that I am a hugger.  I am an awkward hugger at times, yes, but a hugger nonetheless (as evidenced here and here).

Aside from being incredibly awkward 98% of the time, I am also a very loving, caring and loyal person.  As a result, I become emotionally invested in my relationships – ALL manner of relationships.

I have a friend… let’s call her “Elayne”… who thinks it’s weird that I am on such good terms with my gynecologist that at the end of each visit she walks me to the front counter and gives me a farewell hug.

My doctor is just so… awesome! She is a super warm, friendly, motherly figure.  She knows the names of all my friends and ex-boyfriends (not like there are a lot of them to keep track of or anything!).

When I sat on the paper-covered bed sobbing over my last break-up, she let me cry without judgment or making me feel rushed (although I don’t like to admit it, I know she must have other patients).  When I told her my job was stressing me out, she jokingly wrote me a prescription for a new job.  And when I told her I graduated from a Master’s program she jumped off her rolling stool and cheered.

Hug BubbleAwesome, right?

Not to Elayne.

She thinks my post pap hugs are weird.

I’ve tried for years to convince her of the awesomeness of my doctor by calling her after each visit.  And each time Elayne’s response is a variation of “SO awkward!” sometimes followed by her declaration that I am a “Fool!”

I am no fool! I AM A HUGGER!

When I told my doctor that I was moving to another state and would not be coming to her anymore, it was emotional for me.  I had always envisioned her delivering my future illegitimate children.

She wished me well, recommended some physicians in my new city and gave me a big hug!

Upon hearing the news, my bikini waxer also gave me a huge hug and told me she loves me and blew air kisses as I walked out of the salon ::cough:: -  I may have a problem, I see that now

I live by one rule: If you’ve seen my “lady” you get a hug.  All others will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

What are your thoughts?

10 Responses to “To Hug or Not To Hug (Your Gynecologist)”

1. enrique martinez October 21, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

Te cuento que hace un rato me llamo Michael (hacia como 2 meses que no hablabamos) me pregunto por vos y me comento que siempre lee tu blog y que le resulta increible la forma en que relatas con palabras justas los momentos tensos que te tocan vivir que a el le causa mucha gracia y que te admira por lo bien que escribis! No es porque sea Monchi y porque vos seas mi amigo que te lo estoy diciendo,es que realmente escribe muy bien;me dijo!

________________________________

• awkwardcharm October 21, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

Gracias!!! Me alegra muchisimo que le guste mi blog. :)

2. sociopathicuttlefish October 21, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Sounds like you have an awesome doctor!

• awkwardcharm October 21, 2013 at 3:50 pm #

I do! She’s the best. I wonder if my new doctors will allow me to awkwardly hug them? Hm…topic of future posts? Stay tuned

3. TimeMachineTasteTester October 21, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

I like it – i feel like i know “my crew” at Publix, but I don’t really know them. I get excited when I see familiar faces or the guy who told me blueberries were all over (For Free!) where he grew up in Europe. At least these people have seen your business. I have fake relationships from my frequent shopping.

• awkwardcharm October 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

Thank you for sharing AND for enabling my awkward hugging :)

4. hacken2013 October 22, 2013 at 11:59 am #

Carry on! I see the merit in it. You aren’t hugging your gyne because she is your gyne, it is because she is an awesome person who happens to be your gyne!

5. danaerinwDana October 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Came here from The DC Ladies and I have to say, your blog is hilarious! I love reading your posts and look forward to more in the future!

-Dana

• awkwardcharm October 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

Dana you are entirely too kind! Thank you so much for stopping by. I’m glad you enjoy the blog. Stay tuned for more awkwardness!